Medical students will attend the following during the rotation:
- Hospital Medicine Grand Rounds
- CTS Surgical Structural Heart Disease Conference
- Internal Medicine Case Review/Mortality and Morbidity
- Weekly Antibiotic Stewardship Meetings
- Weekly Transplant Hepatology Grand Rounds
- Hospital Medicine Journal Club
The Critical Care rotation will focus upon the recognition, evaluation and management of critically ill patients as part of an intensivist-led multidisciplinary team. Assessment and management of common ICU problems/syndromes/diseases will be emphasized.
This is a team effort that includes the ICU attending, advanced clinical practitioner, palliative care, bedside nurse, respiratory therapist, clinical pharmacist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, social worker and case manager. You will be a member of that team from the first day.
The care of critically ill patients raises many complicated ethical and social issues, and the general internist must be competent in such areas as end-of-life decisions, advance directives, estimating prognosis, and counseling of patients and their families.